A gallery was today told it could continue to display controversial photographs of naked children without fear of police prosecution despite claims the exhibition is obscene.
The Crown Prosecution Service announced that it would not bring criminal proceedings against the gallery or the artists concerned.
Police were called to the Saatchi Gallery in north London last week after complaints that the pictures, taken by two photographers, were indecent and would appeal to paedophiles.
But a CPS spokesman said that after careful consideration there was no realistic prospect of any conviction under the Protection of Children Act 1978.
The spokesman said: "The CPS has advised the Metropolitan Police that proceedings should not be brought against the Saatchi Gallery over photographs exhibited in the gallery.
"In reaching this decision, the CPS considered whether the photographs in question were indecent and the likely defence of the gallery, ie whether they had a legitimate reason for showing them."
The pictures show the youngsters in various naked poses and wearing masks.
The majority were taken by Ms Gearon of her own children.
A spokesman for the gallery said that the two artists and staff at the gallery were delighted with the CPS decision.
"Everyone at the Saatchi Gallery is very relieved as are all the artists in the show," the spokesman said.
"It's been a very worrying time for the two artists involved and their families. We are extremely grateful to the public and press who have supported the artists and the gallery."
The photographs will remain on show until the end of the exhibition on April 15.
A Scotland Yard spokesman said it remained the police's responsibility to act on complaints from the public, particularly in relation to children.
"We will continue to strongly police the law concerning the protection of children and where we see a risk we will take action," the spokesman said.